27 January 2012

Anselm Kiefer: Weekend Inspiration




Lot's Wife, 1989
Oil paint, ash, stucco, chalk, linseed oil, polymer emulsion, salt and applied elements (e.g., copper heating coil), on canvas, attached to lead foil, on plywood panels, 11 _ x 14 feet 




 
"Merkaba", 2002
Oil, emulsion, acrylic and lead objects on canvas
110 x 149-1/2 inches (280 x 380 cm)

The first time I saw Anselm Kiefer's work in person I was utterly dumb struck.  I wish I could remember the title of the piece.  It was in the late '90's at the Smithsonian.  It took up the entire room, it felt like, as it covered an expansive wall.  I couldn't get close enough, it begged to be touched.  The structure of it was daunting, and I imagined it hardly being contained by the ground it was painted on. I had seen the grit and grim of ash and strange mixed media elements in Rauschenberg, and Pollack's work, but here it was really used as a medium the intent was clear. I don't know about you, but I am always amazed that this artist that I have been in awe of is still out there today painting in his studio.  Maybe even this weekend. I hope you're creating too!

No comments:

Post a Comment