22 February 2012

Sweet Spot

"Atmosphere" 18 x18" encaustic on panel

"Float" 12 x 12" encaustic & rust on panel
"Atmosphere" 10x22" encaustic, rust & metal findings on panel



As a runner, there is always talk about a "runner's high".  I'm not sure if I ever felt that specifically, but I do find that sweet spot everyone once in a while.  For me, it's when I am just in the zone and it's effortless.  On Monday night I had just a couple hours to be in the studio and in no time I found myself in that sweet spot.
I turned around "Atmosphere" and found what I think it needed. (You can check out the before here.) I was able to pull together "Abandoned", I started it last week and I wasn't sure what direction to go in with it. But I was just moving in that rythym where every decision I made turned out to be the right one for that piece.  
I kept moving and with my last remaining blank panel "Floating" appeared.  I'm sure it was a good thing that it was my last blank surface. At least that's what I am going to tell myself.  I mean, what if I could've just kept going like that?  It was great to have such a productive evening!  That sweet spot is like a drug.  If I had another surface I'd be out there tonight trying to capture that feeling again. 

4 comments:

  1. Heather, Abandoned is just lovely! As for that luxurious feeling of being in the sweet spot, i've heard a saying something like, 'artists are the luckiest people because they get to fall in love again and again and again.' i have often likened starting a new piece to 'falling in love.' wishing you more of those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, Thank you! What a great analogy, and it's so true! Thanks for commenting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather- I love the changes you made to atmosphere...and float is taking my breath away- wow- you are on fire this year! your work has changed so much since I first found your blog- it's been so fun to watch the evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I feel like I am just realizing that my work is changing, when I sat down to write an artist statement. After such a long dry spell it's nice to be able to create again.

    ReplyDelete